I actually got inspiration for this recipe from a colleague of mine at work — we love sharing recipe ideas with each other.
Her version of the recipe is similar to this one but as always I usually add my own spin, depending on what I have in my kitchen. Her recipe has pecan nuts but I decided to use canned red kidney beans in place of the pecan nuts.
The idea to use red kidney beans actually came from watching an episode of Siba’s Table in which she used these beans in a green salad. I loved how the dark red colour of the beans complemented the green lettuce leaves.
So this how I made my recipe…
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1/2 of a can of red kidney beans (drained)
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- 5 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a pan, fry the bacon until almost crispy. Set aside and once cooled down, chop into small pieces.
3. Place the broccoli on a chopping board. Chop off the stalks and cut the broccoli into small florets.
4. Take a casserole dish and layer the broccoli into a single layer. First sprinkle the red kidney beans on top of the broccoli, then scatter the bacon bits on top of the broccoli and beans. Add your garlic and oil. Stir the dish so that the oil coats the broccoli well. Then finish off with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
5. Place the dish into the preheated oven and bake/roast at 180 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, until the broccoli starts to brown and is tender.
6. Remove the dish from the oven and squeeze the lemon over your dish (to release the lemon juice) and finish it off by sprinkling the grated Parmesan cheese over everything. Yum!