If you are a great fan of banana sandwiches, then read on…this recipe is for you 🙂
I love banana…and I love bread…but I am not too sure yet if I like their combination.
Over the weekend I tried to be adventurous and made French Toast with banana and peanut butter spread. Sounds yummy right? It sounds yummy but I think because I had never tried eating banana on bread before, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I was keen to try it out.
I saw this recipe on one of the cooking shows on the Food channel on DStv – Roadtrip with G. Garvin – and it looked super easy and delicious! I am fan of french toast but all I do is dip slices of bread into a beaten eggs mixture, fry away and voila I have french toast 🙂
So if you absolutely love having banana on your bread, then I think you will love this recipe.
- bread (preferably white bread)
- peanut butter (enough to spread on your bread)
- 1 ripe banana (you can mash it so it is easier to spread on the bread)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
1. Put eggs, milk, cinnamon, sugar and salt into a large bowl and beat well. Put aside.
2. Butter each slice of bread on one side. You can spread peanut butter on the one slice and mashed banana on the other slice. Then join the two slices together.
3. Take the peanut butter & banana bread and dip it into the egg and milk mixture. Make sure the bread soaks up all the liquid very well. Then turn the bread around and dip it on the other side as well.
4. Melt your butter on a non-stick pan and once it has melted transfer your soaked up bread onto the pan and fry each side of the bread until golden brown or to your liking.
4. Take the bread off the pan and drizzle with syrup and enjoy!
I must say I wasn’t too wild about the sweet taste of the banana in my bread but the peanut butter was very nice and made up for it. I think next time I will just leave out the banana.