Besides hair…my other passion is food & cooking 🙂
I enjoy eating a good meal, so I am always on the look out for interesting recipes to try out at home. One of my favourite food blogs that I like to visit is Brandi‘s A Hungry African. I’m always stalking this site for delicious recipes to try out – this girl can cook y’all! (Try out her Mini Dumplings in Stew meal for a delicious home-cooked meal – yummy!)
I came up with this easy, quick and yummy sandwich idea one Saturday afternoon when I was hungry and needed a quick, but delicious meal. I quickly rummaged through my grocery cupboard and came up with a few things that I already had. I LOVE seafood, so I always have a few cans of smoked oysters, smoked mussels, shredded tuna, sardines & pilchards in my grocery cupboard for a quick fix. I also love Avo (ask anyone who knows me lol), and I always try to make sure that I have at least one on hand.
So I decided to combine these two favourite ingredients of mine…and make a sandwich out of them. After eating this sandwich I felt deeply satisfied & full …and that counts 🙂
Try it out…
- 1 Ripe avocado
- 1 can of Smoked mussels (or smoked oysters)
- Garlic (1 teaspoon)
- Butter ( 1 tablespoon)
- Mayo (2 table spoons)
- Tabasco hot sauce
- Dried parsley ( 1 tablespoon)
- Bread (2 slices, or more depending on how many you eat)
- Salt & pepper
1. Mix the butter, garlic and parsley together to form a paste and spread on the bread. Or you can spread each ingredient separately – first the butter, then the garlic and sprinkle some parsley.
2. Cover a baking tray with foil and put the bread on it. Place the bread in the oven, set it on bake at 140 Degrees and leave it for about 2 min. The butter should melt and the bread should be a bit toasty (Just make sure to watch it so it doesn’t turn black :-)) Take out the bread from the oven.
3. Open the can of smoked mussels & drain the oil from the can (Tip: make sure to rinse out the can with water before discarding, as your rubbish bin will smell of fish after a day)
4. Mix the smoked mussels together with your choice of mayo in a bowl. Spread the smoked mussels & mayo mixture on the bread. Put a few dashes of Tabasco on top of the mussels & mayo mixture.
5. Cut the avo in half, take out the pip, scoop out the avo from the skin and cut the avo into cubes. Divide the avo between the 2 slices of bread. Put the bread back into the oven and set it on grill for about 2 min, until it’s toasty to your liking.
6. Take out the bread from the oven and season with salt and pepper and enjoy!